This month we have Sage Thomas as our Member Spotlight. Sage has been with us since the beginning and we love the stories she shares about the ways she uses CrossFit in her everyday life! Get to know Sage better and check out what she has to say.
Name – Sage Thomas
2. Occupation – Student at TRU (Aspiring midwifery student); Birth/ Postpartum Doula,
3. Length of time doing CrossFit – First started 6 years ago, but a more solid 5 years.
4. Greatest CrossFit moment – figuring out how to rope climb two days before my first
competition at FVT. Rope climbing was in one of our workouts, and I managed to get one
full climb in during the competition.
5. How has CrossFit changed your life – CrossFit has changed my life in many ways, I have
gained more confidence and self-esteem, health awareness of my body; how to listen to
my body when it needs rest, what I’m consuming and how that affects my energy, mood
and performance at the gym. I also don’t suffer from insomnia anymore and avoided
post-partum depression after having my son.
6. What was your first CrossFit WOD and how did you feel after – I don’t exactly remember
what the workout was, but I recall running at least 400m, and I couldn’t run the whole
time, I felt like death after, I realized I wasn’t as fit and strong as I believed I was.
7. Tell us your secret talent – I’m a multi-disciplinary indigenous artist: paint, bead, sew,
traditional tattoos, digital illustration, videography… (professionally trained and self-
8. Who motivates you most – My children, It’s important for them to have a healthy
parent, holistically – mentally, spiritually and physically. My community also motivates
me, coming from an Indigenous community, I’m breaking many un-healthy cycles, and
am a role model for our youth and other young women.
9. If you could remove any movement from CrossFit what would it be – Thrusters!!!
10. If you could make up any WOD and name it, what would it be? “The Group of 7” 21min
EMOM (with a partner – both do 7 reps of every movement within the min) 7 OHS
#105/85, 7 burpees over bar, 7 Cal row, 7 T2B, 7 Box jump overs, 7 Squat Cleans, and 7
11. What is your favourite movement or WOD – Anything with a heavy barbell, except
12. What did you do before CrossFit – Ballet Dance, and Gymnastics as a child. Danced
on/off as a young adult, and then I did yoga. I would also occasionally try different
workout classes and go to the gym.
13. Tell us your favourite quote: “Be the change that you wish to see in the world” – Gandhi
14. Tell us one thing you bring as an athlete to CrossFit Apostle – Humbleness, I don’t get
too stressed out about the workouts or my fails, I’m here to move to my body and enjoy